Monday, August 18, 2008

Joan Jett at Kentucky State Fair





Saturday night, while all the cool kids were waiting in line for beer and jockeying for prime position to glimpse My Morning Jacket at Waterfront Park, some of us could be found at the Kentucky State Fair, pumping our fists into the air while '80s rocker Joan Jett proved she's as badass as ever. Jett and her Blackhearts, all clad in black, were tight. From my view of the show (literally on the stage, bitches!), I experienced the raw energy that was oozing off the stage -- I saw the sweat, the spit and the genuine smiles she'd flash to her bandmembers between songs. She seemed to be enjoying herself just as much as the packed crowd at Cardinal Stadium was enjoying the music -- and it was all here: "Bad Reputation," "Crimson and Clover," "Cherry Bomb,"I Hate Myself for Loving You" and, of course, "I Love Rock n Roll."

While I'll never be cool enough to qualify as hipster (Exhibit A: The pink in my hair.), Saturday night there was no where else I would have rather been than air-guitaring behind Joan Jett's soundguy to "Do You Wanna Touch Me." —Sara Havens

No comments: