Monday, August 25, 2008

Alex & Alethea: My Joy

My Joy
Alex and Althea
(A&A PRODUCTIONS)

Gospel music generally isn’t my cup of tea. I do think I can appreciate it for being decent music.
My Joy isn’t amazing. The lyrics aren’t particularly creative, and oftentimes the instrumentals sound like an old Boyz II Men rendition. I will admit that the vocals are surprisingly beautiful.
Alex and Althea probably would understand that I don’t get their music. Obviously, the audience is pretty specific. The song topics don’t get overly heavy; these two just seem to really like to sing about God. I can totally respect their way of expressing their feelings. However, when the song “Lord I’m Addicted To You” rolls around I can’t help but think about the whiny Simple Plan song “I’m Addicted to You” (about a borderline stalker). Also, “Whatta Friend” makes me want to correct the terrible grammar. Shouldn’t they be a little more serious?
The title is fitting. The music is joyful. My request is a version of “Joy to the World.” They would rock that. –Cassie Book

No comments: