Monday, June 16, 2008

The Delicious: Postcard To My Sewing Circle

The Delicious
Postcard to my Sewing Circle

(JOYFUL NOISE)

I’ll admit that I was a little skeptical about how tasty The Delicious were going to be. But after listening only a few minutes, I’d say they are pretty scrumptious. At least they are welcome change from the monotony of pop music. At its best, Postcard to my Sewing Circle isn’t boring or predictable; it is witty and attention demanding.

Don’t let the light-hearted tone of the music fool you, or allow the disjointed lyrics to confuse you. The lyrics are clever and well written. But unfortunately, to appreciate them the songs might require a second listen. “Time and Energy” isn’t your standard “I want you back, baby” song. Also, much to my surprise, Hokusai and cryptozoological are both legit words and, they are used fairly correctly in their contexts. These guys know exactly what they are doing with wordplay.

The most disappointing aspect of the album would be that it only has five tracks. Just as I was getting into it, it was over. I suddenly had the sensation to flip it over like a cassette tape to listen to another side of tracks. –Cassie Book

No comments: